Looking back... We found out I was pregnant on Sunday, March 23rd, 2008. AF (aunt flo) was almost a week late. We had been trying to get pregnant since early 2007 and this was not the first time AF had been late during that time, but it always ended up arriving before I got around to taking a pee-test. This time felt different. I had already had some aversions to foods that I had previously enjoyed and I was starting to feel nauseous throughout the day. On our drive back to Gig Harbor after a weekend working a show at the Tulip Festival in Woodburn, we stopped by the store and I bought a test. The plan was to wait until the morning to take it, but I couldn't wait and decided to take it that night. Almost as soon as I was done taking the test, it was telling me the word I wanted to see, "pregnant." Scott only had to take one look at the grin on my face to know what the answer was. I think we both knew even before I took the test that I was pregnant because we had already decided to go purchase the new car (instead of another truck) we'd been talking about the next day. So we bought the car so that I could drive back to Portland without Scott to meet Brenna for some girl-time later that week.
I met Brenna at the train station and told her that there was going to have to be a change in plans for our activities; we would no longer be able to go wine tasting... Instead, we spent the time talking about babies, looking at maternity clothes and baby stuff, and trying to figure out an original way to announce the pregnancy to my parents and sister, Katie. We planned that I would decorate a small jigsaw puzzle for each of them that said "Grandma," "Grandpa," and "Aunt" and I began decorating them. I ended up not using the puzzles when I realized that the next Monday was April Fool's Day.
April Fool's Day has always been a tradition in my family. We're all very aware of the day and try carefully not to get fooled by our parents, especially my mother. She's been known to pull some good ones over on us. So, Monday came around and I called my family. My dad was the first one to answer his phone. I said "Hi Grandpa" and he said "why are you calling me Grandpa?" and I said "why do you think?" He had forgotten that it was April Fool's Day, so the fun didn't really work. Next I talked to my mom. She was so excited, then realized that it was April Fool's Day and said, haha April Fool... When I told her I wasn't fooling she said that I better not be or else she'd get me! My sister was very aware of the day, being a middle school teacher and all, and immediately said, haha yeah right, April Fool. When I finally convinced her that I wasn't fooling, she was SOOO excited.
Later we told our other friends and family. Most of my girl friends squealed with excitement for us and my MIL cried.
